Rules for Effective Living
This is a summary of the rules for effective living. There is a post for each rule that primarily contains quotes and, at times, some discussion. For sure there is much still to discuss about these rules. There may even be some additions in the future.
Rule 9, “Constantly renew yourself in the basic areas of life.”, is a prime candidate for expansion.
1. Set goals for each day.
2. Be proactive.
3. Begin with the end in mind.
4. Put first things first.
5. Deliver more than you are getting paid to do.
6. Think win-win.
7. Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
9. Constantly renew yourself in the basic areas of life.
10. Count your blessings. Build this day on a foundation of pleasant thoughts.
11. Don’t look back at your mistakes too long. Search for the seed of good in every adversity.
12. Always reward your long hours of labour and toil in the very best way, surrounded by your family.
13. Today I will be the master of my emotions.
14. Never allow anyone to rain on your parade and thus cast a pall of gloom and defeat on the entire day.
15. I will laugh at the world, and most of all I will laugh at myself.
16. Postpone gratification.
17. Never neglect the little things.
18. Live this day as if it will be your last.
19. Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside.
There are some streams of thought that are in contention to be classified as “rules”. Among them are:
- Get your heart, mind and will on the same page.
- Concentrate on your strengths.
- Do more of what you enjoy and love.